Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday Link Up


Okay, I am going to attempt to host a Tutorial Tuesday linky party! For my first Tutorial Tuesday I decided to tackle something on my to do list, tulle poms. Last year I had tissue paper poms, and after a school year of fluorescent lights and natural light from my classroom window they are pretty faded.

Here is a list of things you will need:
1 roll of 6" wide tulle per pom  (25 yards)
Fishing line
Scissors
Something round to trace 
Pen or pencil to trace with
Cardboard



Here are the steps for making these cute tulle poms:

1.Use something circular that is around 12” in diameter to trace onto your card board.
2.Take a smaller circular thing, center it on the template and trace.
3.Use a pen or something sharp and poke a hole in the inner circle to fit your scissors through.
4.Poke your scissors through the hole and cut around the line.

5. Cut around to outside circle.
6. Make another identical template.
7. Tape the fishing line around the inside of one of the templates  in a horseshoe shape (like the arrow) .
8. Sandwich the two templates together and pull the fishing line out from between the middle of the 2 templates and simply begin wrapping the  tulle through the middle and around.
9. Wrap the first layer of tulle around the templates. Make both ends of the fishing line are out , and don’t loose them.
10. It should look like this when you run out of tulle. If you are left with tulle sticking out like me trim it to the edge of the template. If you look you can see me holding the fishing line …seriously don’t loose it.
11. Cut a slit right after your fishing line, and then start cutting in the gap between the 2 templates . Make sure you don’t accidentally cut your fishing line.
12. Make sure you hold the tulle in place as you are cutting so one side doesn't end up longer than the other.
13. After you finish cutting all the way around hold down the tulle with one hand and pull the fishing line tight with the other  to tie a knot. This is much easier to do if there is someone to help you, but my husband is working L . I had to..don’t laugh… sit on one side so the tulle didn't move that way both of my hands were free to tie a knot. I recommend wrapping the fishing line back around and tying another knot on the other side.
14. After you tie the knot it will look flat like this.
15. Just use your hands to fluff it all out by tugging on the flat parts and separating the layers
16. Here is what your pom should look like after you have finished


I plan to make more of these cute tulle poms for my classroom :) Here are the 3 I have made so far. Please Link up and share your wonderful tutorials. Don't forget to use the button at the top :)


No comments:

Post a Comment